12:12-Discussion Segment: Thunderstone
35:18-Why This Album Sucks
48:47-Brew Talk

DGR: 01.16.2011

13 Responses to Drunken Gamers Radio: 01.16.2011

You have to love your passion when it comes for the hatred and disdain for all things Journey. The way you break down WHY you hate them makes it not only funnier, but it’s enlightened as well. You are correct, these musicians were good, and they were dummed down for some 80s pop music. If you wanna hear a taste of what they could have been, listen to “Walks Like a Lady” on the “Captured” album. It’s a good blues tune until Steve Perry comes in and ruins it. Ugh!

However, for over 18 years of my life I dejayed weddings and hosted karaoke at local bars and I will tell you, people LOVE Journey. Want to get the women to drool on you at a karaoke bar, do Journey even just a little well. Women cream on themselves. Like it or not, “Don’t Stop Believing” is considered a Rock Anthem and a guarnteed crowd sing-along, especially if you’re wasted.

I was at this bar called “Rising Stars” in Orlando, a karaoke bar with a live band and backup singers. I applied my everyone loves Journey theory and knocked out “Faithfully” (one of MANY Journey tunes the house band had in their set list). Mind you, that’s a tough song lyrically (harder than it needs to be) so if you can hit the notes it’s pretty impressive. I kid you not, everyone went nuts, especially the gals.

Don’t worry guys, you won’t be getting any Journey CD from me any time soon, and I certainly appreciate and understand all of your arguments. But I don’t think they will be going away any time soon, especially since there is some nostalgic love for them from the culture at large. Write more great music and maybe we can be singing “Aim for the Brain” in large drunk gatherings instead. :)

I was just at a skating rink that played “Don’t Stop Believing.” I think that there are some songs that are mandatory for every skating rink to play at least once a day or they implode in a space/time rift.

It was fun listening to your thoughts on beer/brewing. Makes me want to write more articles.

It was also fun listening to you guys NERD OUT over a nerd game.

Some suggestions for Why This Album Sucks: any Celine Dion, Michael McDonald, or Michael Bolton, especially his “opera” album.

You guys really went all out in your first time brewing. That’s a lot of beer! I may have to invite myself over and see if I approve of the shenanigans.

Believe it or not, I was the head DJ at Skateville for like 3 years. Yup, it was on the playlist. But so has “the Hokey Pokey” and “The Bunny Hop.”

4. Tex says:

Kickass show as usual boys! Really enjoyed the music and beer talk. Where are you guys getting your recipes and supplies from? I made a batch last year of blonde lager, but it was a can kit, so it wasn’t quite the same…I think wine is next for us, then back for another shot at beer.

Also, animal crackers kick ass.

5. tokengirlstfu says:

Goddamnit Moe!!! My hitmen are coming to get you!!!

6. cube says:

Speaking of beer…

Can you guys get any Hopslam from Bell’s Brewery? It’s pretty much exactly what Hilden loves: Hops, hops and more hops, with a honey sweetness that really balances well with the rest of the beer. 10% ABV, but it doesn’t really taste like it.

7. Moe says:

@tokengirl You have hitmen? Are you sure that wasn’t a typo? Mabye hatmen? Or hutmen? I think they’re hutmen. I’ll bet you have a whole bunch of those.

8. Moe says:

@Zinswin We don’t believe in tip-toeing into anything. Once we decide to do something, dammit, we’re doing it right. No pussyfooting. Kick-fucking? Of course. Pussyfooting? No.

We’ll let you know when it’s beer time.

9. tokengirlstfu says:

@Moe: I have hitmen and they are tiny and they will stowaway in Ryker’s luggage when he comes down next week and they will, with a few zany antics along the way, find you and hit you with tiny twigs of poison ivy and give you a rash on your naughty bits.

I liked the beer discussion, gentlemen. Sadly, in Iowa, I have yet to see any Surly beers, however I have found Dogfish 90 min IPA at the local Hy-Vee grocery store and loved it.

I brewed a Hefeweizen and an IPA this past Sunday (10 gal of beer…mmmm…) and actually looked up the hop stuff, ’cause with the IPA, you add varying amounts at varying times during the boil, and a boil is typically 60 min for these 5 gal home brew kits. In many beer varieties, you will add the hops at the beginning and leave it alone, but with an IPA, you add some at the beginning, some midway through, and some with 1 min left in the boil time. This is because the boiling isomerizes the alpha acids in the hops, which contributes to the bitter flavor you get.

In general, depending on the hops variety you use, the longer you boil the hops, the more bitter the beer; the later you add the hops, the “hoppier” the beer tastes and smells. The Dogfish folks just keep adding hops at a steady pace for 90 min (and they have 60 and 120 min varieties, too), which gives them a reasonable balance between the bitterness and the hop aroma.

11. Tex says:

Forgot to mention how much I agree with the vinyl/digital copy releases. Vinyl seems to be making a bit of a comeback. Hipsters be damned.

12. damo says:

Loved the new segments! ilduce sort of mentioned it, but I was going to say to Hilden – if you enjoy hops, you should try to find Dogfish’s 120 minute IPA. It’s an absolutely insane 21% beer, and it’s like drinking liquid hops.

Also, my favorite IPA right now has to be the Hoptical Illusion from Blue Point Brewing Company. They use an unusual hop variety to make it, so it has a taste unlike any other IPA.

Great show this week boys! Glad to hear how excited you’re getting for brewing. With the all grain setup you’re already leaping over my homebrew group.