04:10-Drunk Dials
16:53-Discussion Segment: Things of the Year

DGR: 01.09.2011

14 Responses to Drunken Gamers Radio: 01.09.2011

I was under the impression that in Hot Tub Time Machine, it was presented that Poison was touring in small venues right before they made it big.

And I’m with John on LCD Soundsystem. I want to hate it, but I just can’t help liking the gay dance music.

2. Tex says:

Thanks for not playing my new years voice mail…I don’t remember much of it but I think I rambled on like a bastard…

3. Tuxedo_J says:

Listening to the Year-in-review music bit, I realized I would totally listen to a music talk and discovery podcast by you guys.

So much to say and I’m not even done with the show yet.

First, I liked “Iron Man 2” quite a bit, but I didn’t think it quite lived up to the “super hero sequel” standard set by “X-Men 2,” “Spider-man 2,” or “The Dark Knight.” Those movies just seemed to raise the bar sooooo much over their predecessors that I was expecting something similar with “Iron Man 2.” It seemed like more-of-the-same, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

I just saw “Inception” last week and I also liked it quite a bit. The story-telling and visuals were amazing. I kinda expected more with the ending, though, and thought that it was the obvious resolution. It just seems like people were talking about “That Ending” when the movie was out in theaters, so it got over-hyped in my mind.

Finally, Hilden, I also cried at the finale of “Lost.” I can understand some people’s frustrations, and in many ways, this finale was very similar to the finale of “Battlestar Galactica” in that it was an appropriate resolution, but not satisfying to those who wanted more answers. Regardless, a brilliant episode and a brilliant show.

Brilliant episode. I love it when you guys share thoughts on random shit. I especially love it when you talk music as I so rarely get to engage that part of who I am and I need people tp steer me in the direction of new and cool stuff. (being a wedding and club DJ for 14 years can leave many scars…) You should seriously think of adding a music and or movie segment to your shows as I bet there are more of us who would love your insights.

@John, sorry you didn’t dig “Get Him to the Greek” but I can certainly appreciate why. On a deep level it certainly fails, but on the surface there is a ton of funny stuff in it. My kid (Tiny) and my step-daughter both loved seeing that show and as a parent that can and will sway your opinions. The music is still pretty bad ass in it though.

SOOOOOO glad you spoke on Dexter. I don’t get Showtime, but was somewhere a few weeks ago that had it on demand. I watched as much of season 5 as I could and I have 2-3 episodes left. I’m with Hilden and I didn’t think they could ever top season 4, and yet somehow they do. Tiny saw me watching it and watched along a few times. We watched all of season 1 over Christmas when he was back home. It’s fantastic TV!

I also cried at LOST, but I’m a pussy…

6. tokengirlstfu says:

I disagree on “True Grit” and “Get Him to the Greek”. Why on earth would you try and find a deeper meaning from the guy who wrote “Yes Man” and directed “Forgetting Sarah Marshall”? It’s a fucking comedy and it’s FUNNY. Did you ever see the original “True Grit” with John Wayne? It’s a pile of technicolor shit. The Coen Brothers did a damn fine job with this adaptation of the novel and I knew a girl like Mattie Ross. I was not that girl and she read a lot, including the 1968 novel by Charles Portis because we watched the Wayne version in history class. Ya’ll are right about The Black Keys album and I love that album so much. For some odd reason it makes me want to own a black, 1969 Camaro.

This is why we LUV you so muh TokenGirl!

Speaking of music of the year, I just can’t get enough of Mumford & Sons. I recognize that just about every song on the album has the same emotional build, but DAMN it’s a predictable formula that I’m a sucker for.

I haven’t seen many movies lately. They all seem to disappoint me with pretentiousness. Hollywood has forgotten that we all have brains. Even “Inception” (which I finally just saw) has a predictable ending.

I wish Deadwood would come back…

“I wish Deadwood would come backā€¦”

No shit. Just got into it. Fantastic.

@token: I don’t think John was trying to find any deeper meaning in “Get Him” as much as lamenting the fact that the characters were all a one trick pony. The trick worked in Sarah Marshal, but it got old fast in Get Him.

10. tokengirlstfu says:

I wish Deadwood AND Rome would come back. I’m a huge fan of anything pertaining to ancient Rome and Oliphant is dreamy.
    @Hilden. John’s a one trick pony but we still love him.

11. Ian (DJI) says:

@Zinswin
    I was in Best Buy before christmas and the music section was blasting Mumford & Sons. Uncensored. “I really Fucked it up this time” roaring across the store and I really don’t think anybody noticed. Moms, small children, a granny, no outrage.

That made me happy.

12. tokengirlstfu says:

found a page of great Black Keys mash ups. I will be playing this in the car during my one hour drive to work for a while.

Now that I’m back from vacation I can respond to tokengirl’s jibberish.

What I was lamenting in Get Him to the Greek was that it wasn’t funny at all. In fact, it was depressing. Russell Brand’s character (whom I found hilarious and charming in Forgetting Sarah Marshall) was hate-able here, and Jonah Hill’s character just went on an idiotic downward spiral the entire film. In addition, Sean P-Diddy-Puffy-Poofy-Dipshit Combs was there simply to be the “token” black guy who says “fuck” a lot. I was expecting a good comedy, a la Forgetting Sarah Marshal,l and got a jumbled mess of a dramatic character study with weak comedy mashed in.

Regarding True Grit, I’m not sure what you’re referring to, but I thought I made it clear that I loved the movie and it was one of the best flicks of the year. I did say the girl’s character was a bit hard to believe, but mentioned that within the prism of the Coen Brothers, it fit just fine.

Listening comprehension.

Glad people are liking our “off-topic” podcasts so much…

Can’t wait for the announcement this week that the site is going full rope fetish. Looking forward to it & trust in all you do.

yours,