08:06-Drunk Dials
30:44-Dead Rising 2: Case 0 Review (XBLA)
39:14-Arcade Hits Pack: Gunblade NY and LA Machine Guns Review (Wii)
49:43-Metrod: Other M Review (Wii)
1:04:30-Retro Review: Blasto (PS1)
1:12:18-Five Things
1:29:39-The Last Shot

DGR: 09.03.2010

32 Responses to Drunken Gamers Radio: 09.03.2010

1. PhilthBot69 says:

Damn John, I used to love you but that Metroid review :/ this is probably my game of the year and my favourite Metroid surpassing Super Metroid.

Loved the voice acting, plot and especially the controls. Love the controls and don’t understand complaints at all. (btw shake the Wii remote to dodge in first person…)

Also there is a good reason why Adam doesn’t authorise the Varia/Lava suit just actually finish the game to understand why.

Seems to me that Americans don’t get this game 😉

Great show, guys.

With regards to the XBL price increase (and not to get into a flame war, but here goes…), this is why I went with a PS3 instead of a 360. Any time I’ve used XBL at a bud’s house, I’m always impressed with the ability to connect with friends with relative ease, able to jump into and out of their games, and the ability to avoid some of the convoluted bullshit of the PS3’s XMB…BUT…I simply don’t trust Microsoft. I’ve used their PC products for years and have always preferred the thought processes behind Linux: keep things open and eventually the service will equal or surpass the paid version (if you’re patient). Microsoft, as a company, has a tendency to charge you for the same thing again and again, and the service rarely warrants the money you spend on it (e.g. did we really need Office 2003 over Office XP? Or Windows Vista over XP? No, but they had to appease their stockholders, so they did it anyway).

XBL and PSN are similar in that regard: you pay the premium to get XBL’s service now and you don’t pay a premium to get the same quality of service on PSN later. You can already see the improvements in PSN over the years that have been added free of charge (although PS+ kinda throws that for a loop…).

Granted, I’m biased toward PS3 and freely admit it. Just wanted to point out that an increase in price for XBL shouldn’t be a surprise, as Microsoft has been doing it since the beginning of their company.

@Phil: You loved the dialog? Really? C’mon, man… Really? And better than Super Metroid? And shaking the Wii remote in first person is great and all…unless of course there’s something attacking you from behind that you can’t see coming. And yes, there’s a good reason Adam doesn’t authorize you to use certain weapons: it’s because they needed a reason to do the whole “Samus lost her weapons” schtick again. I’m sure they throw in a nice story treat towards the end, but the rest of it is just an excuse to toss in that gameplay element.

And regarding Americans not “getting” the game (it was a joke, I know), I submit to you:

To each their own and all, but…I’m guessing you should get your water tested.

But like I said during the podcast: it’s not a “bad” game at all. In fact, it’s quite good at certain points. But things like the questionable control scheme, the poorly-scripted dialog and hollow, lifeless delivery of said dialog,and the ridiculous and completely unnecessary pixel-hunt segments all make what’s usually an A+ franchise a B…at best. Anything greater is simply just because it’s Metroid. And I’m as big of a Metroid fan as anybody.

While I am not a big fan of the XBL price increase, the cost for XBL has remained constant since in launched. Price increases for services happen all time; take cable for example. I hate those too, but I almost always simply bitch about it and then forget until the next hike.

While my friend @ilduce is correct in saying that the PSN has a similar network that evolved , I would argue that the experience isn’t nearly as robust or accessable. Furthermore I think we are looking down a slippery slope as Sony prepares to launch a pay service of their own one day, their plus membership is pretty good flag that it’s just a matter of time (I say PS4) before they switch to a pay model. I could be completely wrong, but it’s just too damn much money.

So what will make this hike perhaps a bit more paletable for me is if they did some things WITH my money. How about increasing my friends list, or letting me chose which advertisers I want to see? I’m not holding my breath because I don’t think either will happen. I’ll just cry foul, pay my subscription and then later forget about it.

OR I might go grab a card or two from KazoomPC or someplace for just shy of $40 and postpone the pain. :) http://www.kazoompc.com/ssproduct.asp?pf_id=1013208417

I almost shat myself upon hearing the intro. You’ve outdone yourselves, gentlemen.

The beer Pheneri spoke of is Gulden Draak. It is an excellent dark Tripel. Pheneri, you need to get your hands on Straffe Hendrik Triple from Brugge. That shit will rock your socks off. That may be something I’ll have to get for you.

Grammar pet peeve of mine: people saying “anyways” instead of “anyway.” And one that I have lost the fight on: plural of email should be EMAIL. I don’t go to my mailsbox everyday and get the mails, do I?

Sounds like Metroid has some of the bad things that bother me in Alan Wake. Bad voiceover… while that specific action is happening. I don’t need a breathy, shitty Shatner clone telling me I’m falling in the water while I’m falling in the water, thank you.

I generally agree with you, Ryker. And more than likely, Sony will introduce a fully-paid model with the PS4. Heck, it would be worth $60/year to me to have Sony allow me to download all updates at a scheduled time (not just System Updates, like PS+ allows) and have them download at a speed appropriate to my fiber connection. XBL definitely still has a leg-up on Sony in the online department. No question.

My overall point was that I’m not paying for PSN (currently), so I don’t expect all the features that XBL offers. Much like I don’t pay for Linux, so I don’t expect all the “features” Windows offers. I just factored in those features and price (and company track records…) when choosing which system to get, as I couldn’t afford both. To me, if you’re paying $60 a year on a service, it had better be worth it (and to the vast majority of XBL subscribers, it is). But I very much agree with you that they should have at least announced some new service to go along with it. Something like “yes, we’ll charge you $60 a year now, but you get ESPN included” or “fewer ads,” or something along those lines. Even if it was something relatively minor to seemingly justify the increased price point.

@ilduce Sometimes they tell you why, but I must admit most of the time I don’t get it. I think Microsoft felt it was “time” and don’t think for a minute they didn’t WAIT until after Plus to determine how much and if they needed to revamp their offering before a price hike.

8. Ian (DJI) says:

360 – $5 a month
    Netflix – $10 a month
    cable tv – $45 a month
    cable internet – $40 a month

I wish I could trick wife into ditching cable tv.

The show intro was great.

Wow that’s cheap Cable Internet…Is it bundled?

Ian kinda put it into perspective there.

Also, 12 month subscription cards go on sale about once a month or every other month (from buy.com or amazon) for $30 or $35, just check slickdeals, so maybe those will increase to $33 or $37 a pop. It was fun hearing Hilden get all lathered up though (if you know what I mean).

I think we made clear that the price is not the issue and that all three of us have the extra ten bucks to spend. The issue is that we have, if I’m speaking for the rest of the guys correctly, is what ilduce said:

“When your cable/phone company announces a rate increase, they at least tell you why. Usually, extra taxes/fees, operating costs, etc. To my knowledge, as the DGR crew stated, Microsoft just did this because they could, not because they had to.”

Speaking only for myself, I don’t have too much of a problem with it at all. Yeah, it always sucks when rates are raised on anything. But my level of “anger” over it is about a 2/10. I’m not all that bothered, in other words.

12. Ian (DJI) says:

Gamers put up with a lot this generation.

1. When Verizon/Comcast/DTE sends a bill with a half-sheet with two paragraphs explaining a rate increase due to increased operating costs, does anybody believe them? It’s not like data is ever included proving that. Does it really make people feel better about a rate increase when it’s accompanied by a liter of shit dripping out of a PR mouth or is it better to add to the price of a non-contract inessential service and at least make an announcement?

Oddly, I’m more unhappy 5 Hour Energy stealthy increased from $2.20 to $3 than 360 going to $60.

2. I don’t really get the ad rage. The 3-4 main menu segments with all the ads on them are useless and grouped together, Netflix is the first thing on the movie marketplace segment, the Explore Game Content shit is the first thing in the game marketplace, and no-ad My Xbox is the default when the system turns on. I would like to shut my avatar off and customize the dashboard icons. That’s about it. You can avoid all the multimedia bullshit altogether if you use the center button to navigate you know.

Do I gotta write a science(!!!) article on how to navigate the frikkin’ dashboard without seeing the marketing bullshit? No really, I don’t think I’ve seen an ad this year.

Either way, I’m kicking around the idea of letting my gold subscription run out. I do score chasing more anyway.

13. Capn Chunky says:

As a slightly cynical financial professional, my immediate reaction to Microsoft’s price increase was that they are simply hedging anticipated initial losses on Kinect. The timing lines up with the Kinect launch and I doubt the $150 is covering their full development costs.

Capn has a good thought there. This is why it’s cool when much smarter people than myself comment on things.

Holy crap Chunky you are spot on. Microsoft is gonna eat money on every Kinect sold this Fall, great way to fill the coffers until the hardware costs come down.

There’s probably some truth to that, Cap. Back in June, Edge and others reported that Microsoft would price Kinect at close to manufacturing costs (http://www.next-gen.biz/news/kinect-units-cost-150-to-manufacture-%E2%80%93-report). If they’re right, and the Kinect hardware costs $170 to make, then they still lose money if they sell out (and they probably won’t…meaning they lose even more money).

Grrrr…on a side-note, you guys should set up WordPress to allow me to delete my comment so I don’t sound like an idiot (more than usual). They estimated $150 per unit, not $170.

@Ilduce Been there done that, at least you didn’t write a two-page spread on something you were completely wrong about…like some of us have. :)

19. damo says:

While I don’t have much to say on the price increase or anything like that, I thought I’d bring up the topic of beer again :-)

Phneri, that Gulden Draak is a fantastic beer. If you’re looking for something amazing from the same brewery (which is out of Belgium) try the Piraat Ale (yes, that’s how they spelled “pirate”). It’s a 10.5% abv juggernaut of flavor.

Lately I’ve really been loving the Palo Santo Marron by Dogfish Head. It’s a 12% abv crazy-ass strong flavored brew from Dogfish Head, which will probably be pretty easy to find just about anywhere. It quickly jumped to my top 5 favorite beers the first time I tried it.

I love Palo Santo Marron, too. It’s hard to be unique in the craft beer market, but by using the special wood to age the beer in, they’ve definitely done it.

21. Capn Chunky says:

I wholeheartedly agree. My brother and law and I spent a delightful day this summer at the Dogfish Head brewpub in Rehoboth working our way through their on tap offerings

22. Capn Chunky says:

Shout out to ilduce and Ryker as kindred spirits of poor proofreading :) That should have read “brother-in-law”.

I hate all you Fuckers who can get Dogfish Head. Can’t get it in MN and in WI they are shitty at rotating beer so it’s all old.

@Zinswin I live in central Iowa and we can get the Dogfish IPA variety from Hy-Vee. I know that particular grocery chain is big in Iowa, but maybe they’ve got a few in MN/WI? Either way, apparently you can get it in the Midwest. After watching “Beer Wars,” I was pretty excited to find it in the Midwest.

25. damo says:

Great to see the Dogfish Head fans! They are one of my favorite breweries – and Chunky, holy shit I wish I could visit them myself, but unfortunately it’s quite a drive from Massachusetts.

Sorry Zinswin! I had thought you could get DFH brews anywhere in the country, since they seem to be pretty national (a rarity among craft brewers). Can you get anything from Stone where you are?

If you really want to get your ass kicked, try the DFH World Wide Stout (18%) or the 120 Minute IPA (21%). I had the 120 minute on tap once, and it’s ludicrous.

26. tokengirlstfu says:

it took me ten minutes to stop laughing at Poopy and the Doodoos… but seriously I rarely get gold up and running because I don’t play multiplayer games and I can watch Netflix on my PC and iPod.

Yeah, I can get Stone, DFH, and 3 Floyd’s across the river in WI, but the beer stores there have spotty selection and even spottier rotation practices. I’ll usually stop by if I’m in Hudson and hope for a nice surprise.

In other beer news, Surly WET will be in cans mid October. You guys should be jealous as hell. Very glad to be working in a beer store.

We’ll have to do some trading at MGC :)

29. damo says:

Definitely jealous! I can’t get anything from Surly or Three Floyds here in MA…. it’s terrible, especially because their takes on Russian Imperial Stout, my favorite type of beer, are said to be some of the best in the world.

30. Tex says:

You bastards and your Surly. I want to try it. I’m in the bush in Alberta. Dammit.

If I hit MGC…now how can I convince the gf that a trip to Wisconsin is the dream vacation…