I find Twitter to be an amazing thing. What once struck me as a half hearted attempt to cash in on the whole Facebook craze has turned into nothing less than an instrumental communication tool for our podcast, this website and our readers/listeners. While I once struggled with figuring out just what I was supposed to do with Twitter, these days it seems the sky is the limit. That’s what makes this whole One Book, One Twitter idea such an interesting thing.

Jeff Howe, a contributing editor over at Wired Magazine, was inspired by the collective reading exercises in cities such as Seatle and Chicago to create a “book club” of sorts via Twitter. His premise was simple: “What if everyone read the same book?” The theory of these types of things is that by reading the same book, strangers from all walks of life will have something in common. Pretty noble and neat idea, I say.

Well, the voting has been going on for some time as to exactly which book will be read by the Twitter populous and the winner has been announced today. One of my favorite authors, Neil Gaiman, has been selected as the author with his book “American Gods” receiving the most votes.

So, let’s all join in! The book is pretty easy to find, especially if you like reading your books digitally. I know both Amazon the Apple iBook store have copies. I’m sure you can find them readily available at your local bookstores and libraries as well.

If you’re into it, read the book and follow the #1b1t hashtag on Twitter for what other folks are saying. Head on over to Crowdsourcing.com as well for all the information on 1b1t so far, as well as any new information as it happens. You can also follow Jeff on Twitter by hooking up with @crowdsourcing.

Happy reading!

10 Responses to One Book, One Twitter

1. maskedklaus says:

Ohhh man, I just started reading Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett’s Good Omens, and I’ve been wanting to read it forever! Now I need to get another…wait, why am I complaining?

So, you can read the tweets marked with the hashtags to spoil the book for you in spectacularly quick fashion?

Well, sort of. Jeff mentioned in his latest post to keep all talk of Chapter 3 and beyond out of the conversation for a few weeks. We’ll see if the Twitter denizens can follow directions.

You can’t police the internet!

This is Gaiman’s best book that I’ve ever read. You will love it, especially if you have ever lived/visited Mid/Northern MN/WI/MI.

6. Sean says:

This is one of my favorite books of all time.

Is there going to be a discussion follow up twitterfest? Because brother, I am ALL THE WAY IN.

I hope Neverwhere is next!

7. deadward says:

So good… If your like me and you travel a lot, the audiobook version is really good as well. This same dude does most of the Gaiman andTerry Pratchett books and I dig his style.
    Time to load up the old iPod and listen along. I was just about to listen to Anansi Boys, it might be cool to run them back to back

8. Arvandor says:

My sister has been trying to get me to read Good Omens, and I finally was about to crack down, buy it, and give it a try, only to find that it’s not available on the Kindle Store.

Arrr matey!

Anyways, the first book turned up in my search for Good Omens was American Gods, by Neil Gaiman. Then I come here, and this turns up. The coincidence alone compells me to download this book and give it a read.

9. MNGwinn says:

I didn’t care for Good Omens at all, but I loved American Gods.

10. damo says:

Nice! I read American Gods few years ago, and it’s one of my favorite books of all time, too. It’s fantastic right from the first chapter.