Mailbag Episode:
07:47-Interview: John Lee-Bardo Entertainment.com
20:02-Five Things
33:44-Mailbag/Drunk Dials

DGR: 12.05.2009

16 Responses to Drunken Gamers Radio: 12.05.2009

With regards to the “GMP” in Modern Warfare 2, I think he said “EMP” which is a killstreak reward you can get with 13 kills (I think?) that eliminates all electronics for the enemy (gets rid of their radar completely, turns off their red dot sights).

Ha! Since I’ve banished myself from Twitter, I can’t respond properly to MC…

Turns out the idiot of the week is me. This time I confused “Way of the Warrior” with “Way of the Samurai”. Way of the Samurai 3 just came out, not Way of the Warrior 3.

Not as bad as claiming the renaissance took place in France, but an error nonetheless. I’ll take my lashings.

3. Arvandor says:

You poor unfortunate souls. My copy of Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 came in a couple days ago, and it… is… AWESOME!

I hope that it got enough overseas sales to warrant future region free and/or localized games.

4. BenFromOhio says:

WOW, EGM is coming back? im so excited, i subscribed to that mag since i was 8. Last year when i noticed i stopped getting my issues, and walmart had the same wolverine issue on sale for 3 months i knew something happened. i missed out on the story, can anyone fill me in on the fall of EGM?

Here’s a good summary and here’s our episode where we have a tribute to EGM, including interviews with “Trickman” Terry Minnich, Ken “Sushi-X” Williams, and Dan Hsu : Link.

6. Wolf-Bot says:

I was unhappy to hear about Moe leaving but the Ice maker was a good stand in.

What kind of ice maker is it? <<<super interesting question

8. fluffy_nuts says:

Hey guys, loved this weeks show even though Moe wasn’t there, tell him I miss him, can’t wait till next weeks

9. Mitch says:

I dug the show this week, but PLEASE don’t feel the need to play every drunk dial you get. A few of them are funny, but if they don’t actually have anything to say it gets really tiring quickly. Of course that’s just me, and maybe it was just the fact that there were so many in a row, but after a while they get old.

That being said, the Pixelsnatch voicemail was absolutely hilarious. I’m going to definitely give their show a shot.

I hate to say it but I agree with Mitch. Drunk dials are by far my least favorite part of the show. More than a couple and I find them pretty grating. This week I had to fast forward through the two man Sklar brothers rip off, which was particularly painful. You’ve heard one guy calling in stumbling over his words talking about how he “fuckin loves video games yaaaaaaaaaa” and you’ve heard them all, unfortunately.

Hey Guys,

Don’t worry, we’re totally with you and have already had this conversation; at least Moe and I have. Suprise, Hilden! 😉 But I’m sure he’s on board. Anyway, there’s a fine line between “Drunken Gamers Radio” and “The ‘Dude I’m So Wasted Right Now’ Podcast”. We’re going to try to walk that line a little better.

We played all of them this week simply because it was a mailbag-focused show. In the future, we’ll be more picky with what we play.

Because we love you. Remember that. Cherish it.

John

Oh, and as a preview for next week: both Pixeljunk Shooter and Zelda: Spirit Tracks are way better than I anticipated. And neither Hilden nor I have Mushihimesama yet. Thanks Japan!

13. phneri says:

Where’s our detailed icemaked introspective?

And Japan just gave you a batshit insane Bayonetta demo. You need to give them time to mail you stuff you paid for.

14. Mitch says:

I have to say, Carrotpanic, if you’re referencing the Pixelsnatch guys with the “Sklar Brothers ripoff” comment, I’ve got to disagree. That’s one of the best uses of the drunk-dial segment I’ve heard so far. I thought they had a very “Jordan, Jesse GO!” timing, which I totally loved.

I have to Agree with Mitch, the Pixelsnatch guys were quite funny. I do think that Drunk Dials can be quite effective if they are both funny, and have something to say. I listen to a few other podcasts where people dial in instead of writing and that “get to know our listeners” flavor is very cool.

Of course the other factor is they have to be concise and not ramble for a long period of time. I’m very guilty of sending in the occasional 3 minute plus voicemail and like good hosts John, Moe, and Hilden put those aside for what I am sure are nefarious purposes. BUT, it does help train your listeners to “Hey man, keep it short,” which is a good thing for this show.

Bottom line I guess is do they add value? That’s not up to me to decide, but it is something we should keep in mind before we call or write in. :)

poop

Mushihimesama just showed up. Fucking finally!

About voicemails, if you do call in, please do your best to keep it under a minute. Like I said, we let all of them slide this week because it was a mailbag episode. In future podcasts we’ll be cutting them out if they’re too long/rambling.